RE: RE:read-write same url in xslt 2 [was appendig to multiple output files]

> >This reminds me that we haven't said anything in XSLT 2.0 about what
> happens
> >if you try to read and write the same URL within a single
> transformation.
> We
> >will have to say it's an error, but whether we say the
> processor has to
> >detect it and report it is another question.
>
> why does it have to be an error? it works with Saxon if you're using
> version="1.1"

>>It has to be an error because the results depend on the sequence of
>>execution, which isn't defined by the language spec. It only works in
Saxon
>>because Saxon (today) processes instructions in left-to-right order.
Writing
>>a document using xsl:result-document and then reading it using document()
is
>>a way of getting side-effects that depend on the sequence of execution.

damn! :) okay then, but it does seem like an unfortunate thing that one
can't use xslt to make a document append system like that. obviously you can
append to a file by running a stylesheet against it, copying, and appending
to it the content of another document. But that's not particularly useful
when compared to the possibility of appending to multiple files from one
transform. I can see building the same thing in a two step process, using if
in Saxon, saxon:next-in-chain, although this would be rather overkill I
think.
Do you think there would be a way to achieve this in xslt 2.0 without
reliance on extension functions?