How to assign a value and reuse a global variable

Hello Gentlmen,
What I am trying to is this.
At the very top level of my xsl doc I a declare an empty variable with no values
like this

<xsl:variable name ="monday"/>

now in my temlates at run time I want to assign this variable a value of

<xsl:variable name = "$monday" select = "'Monday'"/>

which I want to compare with some other string at run time?
Now first of all is it possible to do?If it is then is my syntactic approach
is valid,and if it is then how come I don't see the value I set for monday :-)

Thanks for help

Khalid