xsl:number

Hi,

I'm not sure wheather this is a feature request or
another lack of understanding of XSLT on my side.

Suppose I have a bunch of source documents like

	<doc>
		<chap id="1">..</chap>
		<chap id="2">..</chap>
            <weird-structure>
  		  <chap id="3">..</chap>
              <weird-structure>
    		    <chap id="4">..</chap>
              </weird-structure>
		  ..
            </weird-structure>
		<chap id="n">..</chap>
	<doc>

We need to generate a fairly reshuffled version of
that as output (and with lots of layout, btw), i.e.

	<doc>
		<chap id="m">1. ..</chap>
		<chap id="2">2. ..</chap>
		<chap id="3">3. ..</chap>
		..
		<chap id="4">(n-1). ..</chap>
		<chap id="1">n. ..</chap>
	<doc>

The reshuffling depends on complex criteria and is content
based. What we'd like to have is a monotone increasing number
for the output chapters, with hierarchical numbers for subchapters
(not depicted above). It seems like xsl:number is not an
appropriate tool for that?!

The only solutions I can think of are either based on feeding
the output of one stylesheet into another one or on using xslt1.1,
i.e. builing an ordered nodeset first and processing this a
second time, which is essentially using two stylesheets.

I wonder if there is a "purer" way to do it.

Thanks,
Frank Nestel