Re: Problems with characters

Hello Poul Terray,

I can see that the characters did not show well.

Perhaps the answer lies in the unability to display this mail's text as
well. Using the link that you gave me, I will try to explain better:

>>Rather than displaying the Danish characters of ¿,¸ and å the presentation
Well, the above was supposed to show ae, oe and aa:
[ æ  ] (æ )  LATIN SMALL LETTER AE (ash) * LATIN SMALL LIGATURE AE; ash
(from Old English 泣)
[ ø  ] (ø )  LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH STROKE LATIN SMALL LETTER O
SLASH
[ å  ] (å )  LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH RING ABOVE
(The only one that was showed correctly)

>>is the following:
>>æ instead of ¿
The left character now depicts what I intended it to show but in the
homepage it shows as:
[ ę  ] (ę )  LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH OGONEK
>>ø instead of ¸
The left chacter also suddently showed the correct character in this mail,
but the homepage showed this as:
(It does not show what I see but I see the charater like u with same IGONEK
as the former character or perhaps as greek character (the one used in
measuring meaning 1e-6)).
>>å is depicted as å
This one is the only one showing the correct result all over (also on the
HTML page).

>They don't go through the mail. Are you sure they are in iso-8859-1 ?
They might not be in the database, even though they should. As I wrote in
the first mail, I use encoding="8859-1" and get this result so I guess that
the database must use something else - but this is only my guess, as I don't
know about this at all.

>To check that, go to :
>http://www.zvon.org/other/charSearch/PHP/search.php
>
>Type your character and look at the Subblock.

It shows what is in the mail, not what I actually see.

>What database do you use ?

I am not quite sure (as I don't know that much about this stuff) but is
shown as: Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft SQL Server 2000. I don't know if
this is enough information.

If anyone can tell me whether I should find out how to change the settings
in the database (the characters are shown correctly looking directly at the
rows in the database), or if this is a problem that might be in the
stylesheet (all my other stylesheets uses 8859-1 with no problems), then I
will be very gratefull.

Thank you all,
Ragulf Pickaxe :)