RE: why isn't there data-type for variable like sort?

There is no facility within XSLT 1.0 to read numbers in scientific
(exponential) notation: you will have to use an extension function (e.g.
Java or JavaScript).

Or you could use Saxon 7.0, which implements some of the XSLT 2.0/XPath 2.0
facilities in this area.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com