Default rule for passing matched elements thru unchanged?

I'm baffled by how to build an xslt stylesheet that recognizes
specified elements while passing those not specified through
unchanged.  The application intends to add programming capabilities
to ordinary xhtml documents; e.g. show, if, foreach, etc, where these
might appear anywhere, such as within xhtml elements. I'd rather not
enumerate every imaginable xhtml element name; I don't have the
complete list.

My best shot so far doesn't do it; it deletes everything but show elements.

<xsl:template match="show" priority="1">
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="*"><xsl:apply-templates/></xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="text()|@*"><xsl:value-of
select="normalize-space(text())"/></xsl:template>

And of course, copy-of won't work because it copies (and ignores) the
language rules (like show).

No doubt, the match="*" rule needs to generate the current node
explicitly before calling apply-templates. But I don't see how to
regenerate a node with its attributes.

Could someone pleae advise? Thanks!

--
Brad Cox, PhD; bcox@virtualschool.edu 703 361 4751
o For industrial age goods there were checks and credit cards.