documnet('lookup.xml') question - server/local disk

I have an xml file - lookup.xml - that contains lookup data that I wish to
use in conjunction with
an xml file  and stylesheet - file.xml and file.xsl. All of the files are
located on the server

  http://www.domain.com/lookup.xml
  http://www.domain.com/file.xml
  http://www.domain.com/file.xsl

However, lookup.xml is very large and infrequently changes and if possilbe I
would like to offer the
ability to have a user download this file to the local disk. Within
file.xsl, the lookup file would be
accessed using

  documnet('c:\application\lookup.xml')

Is there a way to accomplish this? I get an access denied when I try the
above documnet() call? Also, I would like to be able to detect or control
whether the server version of lookup.xml is used of if the local copy is to
be used (based
on date or other criteria). Thx in advance..