Ann: PSMI - Interleaving geometry in XSLFO page sequence flows

We are pleased to announce a free resource that may make XSLFO stylesheet
writing easier for you in a very specific situation that would otherwise be
very awkward to accommodate.  Not many people will need this, but we feel
it will be very helpful to anyone who does.

In my work with landscape tables in XSLFO, I found myself constricted by
the packaging of top-level block constructs inside of XSLFO page sequences
because I needed to change the geometry of the page from portrait to
landscape based on a single construct being placed in the flow of a
portrait-oriented page sequence.

It can be done without any kind of extension or customized semantic, but
consider the difficulty writing XSLT to process deeply nested structure
where one construct deep within the structure (the landscape table)
requires a different page geometry than the remainder of the document.

Rather than try and implement a recursive hunt of called named templates
through nested structure down until the preceding sibling of the changed
page geometry, packaging all that in a page sequence, processing the
changed page geometry in a standalone page sequence and then hunting down
again the next package of top-level constructs for the old page geometry, I
felt a two-stage process would be a lot easier to write, debug, understand,
and maintain.

The Page Sequence Master Interleave (PSMI) semantic and vocabulary allows
one to add inside a page sequence flow the interleaving of other page
geometries for top-level constructs.  The PSMI stylesheet then unbundles
the original page sequence into as many sibling page sequences as is
required to accommodate the interleaved requests for different page
geometries.  This relieves the stylesheet writer from having to do it while
navigating nested structure.

Please find this resource and a more detailed description by going to our
Resource Library (third link from the top of our home page noted
below).  We've made this a public resource for anyone to use.  If you have
any bugs to report or suggestions for us to consider, we would be pleased
to hear from you.

Thanks!

.......................... Ken

cc:
XSL List
XML-DOC
XSLFO
XSLFO-WWW

--
Upcoming: 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSLFO: June 17-21, 2002
-       : 3-days XML Information Modeling: July 31-August 2, 2002

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                        Definitive XSLT & XPath
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-07-1               Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books(electronic, printed),
articles, training(instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
Next public training:   2002-04-08,09,10,11,05-06,07,09,10,13,20,
-                                06-04,07,10,11,13,14,17,20,07-31