Re: regarding variables and axis

----- Original Message -----
From: "william locksman" <vsd18@rediffmail.com>

> Dear members
> The following are my questions.

Hello William,

> 1.Will unnecesary variable declaration contribute to any overhead
> in terms of processing performance etc??

well, if they are unneccesary u dont need to use them ? any use of them will
cause an overhead, no matter how slight.

> 2.if i have an xml structure like this:
>
> <root>
>   <parentelement>
>     <childelement1>text in child1</childelement1>
>     <childelement>
>        <name></name>
>     </childelement>
>   </parentelement>
> </root>
>
> If context node is <name>(i got there through a for loop),then how
> do i print the text in <childelement1>

when node context is <name/>

use parent::  to get to childelement and/or combine with preceding:: in your
select statement to get to childelement1

> i understand ancestor would not get me to childelement1..
> how do i then reach to main element..
>
> alternatively i thought of a solution of getting there through
> ancestor::parentelement/childelement1/text()

if u only need to go up to the parent, then this statement will take up more
processing time which increases with the overall size of your xml doc.

gl, jim fuller