RE: Create a node set and then apply a template to it

There are no facilities in standard XSLT 1.0 to create nodes and then apply
templates to them. You can create nodes in a "result tree fragment", but the
things you are allowed to do with  them are very limited.

However, all the major XSLT processors offer an extension function called
xx:node-set() which fills this gap.

Some processors, such as Saxon, also have an extension (saxon:tokenize() in
this case) which does the job directly.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com