RE: James Clark on Schema

I think this point is highly debatable. 'closely linked' is one view.
Hijacked is another.
What percentage of xpath2 is in place for XSLT users, and what
for xQuery users?

> My conclusion is this: As bad as many observers and
> participants think XML
> Schema to be, it is appropriate for it to be the basis for
> XQuery 1.0,

I've no issue with that statement.

> XPath 2.0, and XSLT 2.0.

Please don't group them so coursely. The needs of the two groups
have some overlap. that overlap should, rightly be shared.
the remainder should be a part of the xquery recs.

 To hope that the various Working
> Groups will "see
> the light" and choose to use a schema-like facility defined
> outside the W3C
> is highly unlikely.  An tremendous investment has already
> been made in XML
> Schema by many companies (including mine, of course) and I am highly
> skeptical that they will toss that investment away lightly.

I'm hopeful that time will prove you wrong here.
The W3C has many commercial members who may well be capable
of recognising a bad investment.

> It might be more fruitful for commenters to identify the
> appropriate subset
> of XML Schema to be used by XQuery 1.0, XPath 2.0, and XSLT
> 2.0.  That is
> something that might cause the Working Groups to pay
> attention and alter
> their directions.

I would prefer the query people on the WG to identify what they need,
and take it, leaving xpath and XSLT to grow on the strong base that
has been established.
I've no desire to see two minimal, but powerful recs be swamped
in unwanted additions.

Regards DaveP.

******** snip here *************

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

14th June 2002 is RNIB Look Loud Day - visit http://www.lookloud.org.uk to