From: David Carlisle [mailto:davidc@nag.co.uk]
Sent: 13 June 2002 10:01
To: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Format number problem

> >  <xsl:value-of select="format-number(@zne, &quot;00&quot;)" />
> >  <xsl:value-of select='format-number(@zne, &apos;00&apos;)' />

> Sorry to be picky Jeni, but don't these need to be the other way
around?

Speaking for Jeni (not that she can't speak for herself) they look fine
to me.

the first is the XPath
format-number(@zne, "00")
which is correct, and to place a string invloving " into an XML
attribute that's " delimited you need to use &quot;
which results in the first form.

XPath strings can also be delimited with ' so
format-number(@zne, '00')
is equivalent and you could do
<xsl:value-of select="format-number(@zne, '00')" />
but if you want to use ' around the attribute value then that's
<xsl:value-of select='format-number(@zne, &apos;00&apos;)' />
as Jeni had above.

The thing to remember is that attribute value parsing, expanding &quot;s
etc happens in the XML parse before Xpath ever starts so at that point
the whole XPath is just an XML CDATA attribute and Xpath syntax plays no
part.
It is the resulting normalised attribute value that must meet the XPath
grammar.

David

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.