RE: count string-length without white-space and breaking if white-space exists after 126 characters

Jim Fuller wrote:
>the param instruction is a way of getting in params from the outside
world
>into XSLT processing, they are passed via command line or if
controlling
>transform with JAXP or javascript or whatnot there are methods for
>supplying
>the stylesheet with the data. In addition, params can be supplied to
>named/matched templates, which is another use.

>a variable instruction just holds a constant variable, both param and
>variable have scoping rules, eg. if a variable is declared within a
>template
>/ for-each then it is only scoped and thusly available within that
local
>scope.

I always figured that given the scoping rules of xsl:variable it
shouldn't require as many resources as xsl:param. This is probably just
one of those things where a fuzzy idea on my part, without much thought
behind it, has translated to a prejudice. Any opinion as to whether
there are likely performance gains?