appending to XML file before closing tag

This works pretty well to append content to
an XML file. However, I need to keep the
closing tag where it belongs: at the end of
the file. This only appends to the end and
doesn't work.

I use ...

$myecho = "Hello World";
$file_name = "file.xml";
$file_pointer = fopen($file_name, "a");
fwrite($file_pointer, $myecho);
fclose($file_pointer);

I know I need to introduce: fread() and fseek().
but not sure how to put it all together.
Anyone?

--
Bill
Amsterdam, NL