Grouping nodes by date

I would like to be able to group a set of nodes based on the date (past
dates and future dates)
Is this possible (I have an extension function that returns a boolean if

a date is in the past).
Currently I am selecting all the <items> arranging them in descindeing
order and calling my extension function and possibly outputting data to
the result tree. I was looking for a faster way to do this but have not
found one to date.

so my xml looks something like
<root>
    <item>