Incremental Processing Guidelines

I have a pretty huge XML file to transform, so I want to be sure to craft my XSLT sheet to enable the incremental features of an XSLT processor if that's possible. I've been using both Saxon 6.x and Xalan-Java 2.4.

I've found stuff in the Xalan-Java 2.4 FAQ and in the archives of this list; but the info I've gathered so far is anecdotal or authoritative but limited. For example, I know that using using counts and sorts are incompatible with incremental processing. From a earlier exchange this year on this list I saw that apparently using an xpath of "preceding::something" instead of "../something" may be required for incremental processing. Plus I've seen a few other tidbits.

One thing I'd like to use in particular is an xsl:if, but I gather that may be a no-no?

Anyway, if there is a more authoritative list of guidelines or a more complete set of rules of thumb, that would be a big help.

Of course, if the current answer is just trial and error, that's also good to know. But if I do have to go that route, is there a way to get debugging output from Xalan or Saxon so I know where the processor is in the XML file when it starts pushing output from translations? I've used extensions for Java callbacks in my XSLT so I get nice feedback when either Xalan or Saxon start transforming; it's just hard to tell whether they've sucked all or part of the source XML. Now if I use a really huge XML file as source for my iterative testing, I can always watch the VM memory consumption and tell that way; but it would be nice to do my trial and error with a smaller file.

Thanks!