Re: The longest node in a node set

fo supports this,
7.16.7 "treat-as-word-space"
<fo:character character="&#x2001;" treat-as-word-space="true"/>

Its an 'invisible' space (I think 2001 is very thin space)
If you scattered those alongside the hyphens it would help.

I will read more about that... Thank you.

Check your formatter supports this though. xep doesn't as yet,
nor does Antenna house. Unsure about PassiveTex.
So its there, but not usable as yet.

Do you know whether fop supports it or not?

Or does anyone see a better approach?

I think your approach of word splitting at the xslt stage is appropriate,
though what to split on might be difficult.

Question. If tables are proving so difficult, is it essential to have
tables?

Tables are *not* difficult. The problem is the actual content. Averag content length is OK to get into a single line or is splitted with spaces, but "some"content is difficult because it contains "-" separated words.

Or how about taking the hard to format cells and providing a link to notes
after
the table?

Harder and uglier, in my opinion. At least for my particular case.

But thanks anyway!!

Antonio Fiol