Re: Output Arrow Symbols - only 2 of 3 methods work ??

jdgarrett@alltel.net wrote:
> Dim psFile As String
> psFile = App.Path & "\result.htm"
> pnFileNum = FreeFile()
> Open psFile For Append Access Write As pnFileNum

I don't know VB but I am guessing that your problem has to do with how you you
are sending psOutput, which is probably a Unicode (UTF-16) string, to a file
on disk. The raw UTF-16 data is probably not being written directly. I bet the
16-bit characters are being serialized in an 8-bit encoding like windows-1252
(cp1252), and characters outside of the range of that encoding are being
replaced with "?", as is the generally accepted practice when a process
doesn't know that it's writing markup as opposed to just some arbitrary
string. (If it knew it was writing markup, it would emit "←" in the
8-bit encoding).

I would check your VB docs for writing strings and files. Surely there will be
something about encoding defaults and how to override them.

   - Mike