How to normalize XML???

Hi XSL Gurus,

Is there any way in Xerces or JAXP API to normalize
the spaces from the XML.
<Source>
   <Arg>some text</Arg>
</Source>
I have an indented XML as above and whenever I parse
it, I expect single child under Source node but it
give me nodelist of 3 elements just because my xml is
indented.

Do I need to write my xml inline, or check the element
type for every node ???

Can't I say normalize the XML so that it strips out
unnesary spaces from the xml???
I am using JAXP and Xerces.

Can somebody help in this regard???

Thanks