Re: id() doesn't work!?

"J.Pietschmann" wrote:

> Well, unless every processor implements your suggestions,
> use xsl:key and key(), which is independent of the presence
> of a DTD and will work just as good.
> You might forget about id() after some time... :-)

But xsl:key() is fundamentally no different from "//*[@id='$name']"--it
still requires that you know, for a given input document, what the ID
and IDREF attributes are.

But I think that what Aaron is really asking for is some sort of
analyzer that can report whether or not there are any attributes with a
declared type of "ID"--if not, then id() can never work. If so then id()
might work.

This would be a relatively easy (if somewhat inefficient, perhaps)
extension function to write against any DTD-aware XSLT engine. You could
call it once in your style sheet and know from that point on which
address resolution strategies to use or simply report to the user that
some address resolutions may fail.

Cheers,

E.
--