RE: Problem with using $variable in xsl:value-of

Hi Jochen

> I want to use the value of a variable to define a path in XPath, but:
> - no way (the problem is marked --> PART A)
>
> Does someone have any ideas. I think the solution might be simple,
> but I cannot grab it at the moment

The answer (if not the solution) is simple: you can't in pure XSLT!

However, most processors offer some kind of evaluate() extension function.
Or, if you don't want to use these, you can use a variable in predicates for
comparison. For instance, if you had:

<xsl:variable name="pathStep" select="'element'"/>

You could include it in an xpath like this:

<xsl:value-of select="element/*[name()=$pathStep]/@readonly"/>

Obviously, if you don't know the exact nature of the xpath step that you
want to process this will be harder.

Cheers,

Stuart