RE: how to mix two trees

Change your XML design, use <question-ref id="1">, not <question_1>.
It's very poor design to build meaning into the structure of your XML
element names, and it will certainly make your XSLT coding much harder.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com