Top post vs. bottom post (was: Re: [CFT] libtool on nix->cygwin cross, with wine)

Danilo Turina danilo.turina@alcatel-lucent.it
Wed Feb 25 08:24:00 GMT 2009

Ben Kamen wrote:

> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 4:35 PM, rhubbell <Rhubbell@ihubbell.com> wrote:
>>> Ok, this is one neurotic list.
>>
>> A lot of Linux mailing lists have that policy.  Especially if it is
>> high volume or has a large subscriber base.  The idea is that someone
>> can read a single email and understand it without having to bounce all
>> over the place.
>
> What still always makes me laugh is the people who are so emphatic about
> top vs. bottom posting.
>
> (someone even had a clever .sig showing the flow of top posting and how
> "backwards" it is)
>
> But honestly, we humans have remarkable brains that let us put back
> together the conversation in either order.
> Is it really *that* hard? Maybe for some.

I just think as you do. For me top posting has ever been THE way to
reply to e-mails. I always used it at work and at home (unless it was
more useful to do an inline reply).

I just find it more natural than bottom posting, for the reason that if
I'm following a thread post by post, I don't want to re-read every time
all the things that have been said, instead I only care about the last
thing said.

Imho, it's just a matter of personal preference AND of the tools that
one uses (people often forget that if you use a hammer you'll tend to
thing everything as a nail (even if it's not)).

I don't like zealotry and I recognize the importance of being pragmatic
(even if I'm not always able to be pragmatic and sometimes I'm a zealot).

I top posted in one of the Cygwin lists, I have been said that it was
wrong there, I explained my reasons and told that I didn't want to
scroll till the end of the e-mail each time and was answered that other
e-mail clients allowed that easily. I searched and installed an addon
for Thunderbird (QuoteCollapse) that helped me in surviving here. Full stop.

To summarize: I don't like bottom posting, I prefer top posting. But I'm
not here to change the world, just to follow a bunch of lists that talks
about a product that I use. I'm a human: I adapt myself to new
situations and I understand that other people think in a different way
than me.

Last point: I'm not interested in convincing anybody that my thinking is
better than his/her. I'm not interested in helping anyone understand
that two different thinkings/point of views can cohexist without harm.

Ciao,
	Danilo

--
Danilo Turina
Alcatel-Lucent

7 anni 10 mesi 15 giorni 23 ore 33 minuti 30 secondi