<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<TITLE></TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE>
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY 
style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #0000ff; FONT-FAMILY: Comic Sans MS; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" 
bgColor=#ffffff background=cid:770581423@18112001-1f64>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV>G'day<SPAN class=770581423-18112001>,</SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=770581423-18112001></SPAN> </DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=770581423-18112001>For some reason bash-2.05a-2 does not 
  export the SHELL environment variable. If you type "echo $SHELL" you get the 
  right response of "/bin/bash", however, if you type "env | grep SHELL" the 
  variable is not to be seen. bash-2.05-8 seems to be working correctly though 
  and I have moved back to this version.</SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=770581423-18112001></SPAN> </DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=770581423-18112001>I first noticed it when I ran KDE's kvt. 
  For some reason it was using a Bourne shell and not a Bash shell. I checked 
  the environment for the SHELL variable and it was not there. I manually set 
  "export SHELL=/bin/bash" and ran kvt again and it ran correctly with a Bash 
  shell.
  <P><FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff size=2>Have Fun !!</FONT></P>
  <P><FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#800000 size=4>Shane Hill</FONT></P>
  <P><FONT face=Arial 
  size=2>=============================================================================<BR>Shane 
  D. Hill (Aeronautical Engineer, Hons, University of Sydney)<BR>Airframes and 
  Engines Division,<BR>Aeronautical & Maritime Research 
  Laboratory,<BR>Defence Science & Technology Organisation,<BR>PO Box 
  4331,<BR>Melbourne, Victoria 3001, AUSTRALIA.<BR>(506 Lorimer St, Fishermens 
  Bend, Vic. 3207, AUSTRALIA.)</FONT>   <FONT face=Arial 
  size=2><BR>Email:  </FONT><A 
  href="mailto:Shane.Hill@dsto.defence.gov.au"><FONT face=Arial 
  size=2>Shane.Hill@dsto.defence.gov.au</FONT></A><FONT face=Arial 
  size=2><BR>Voice:  +61 3 9626 7811<BR>FAX:    +61 3 9626 
  7072<BR>=============================================================================<BR></FONT></P></SPAN></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>