Re: RFD: Include an easy editor in the cygwin-standard-distribution

On Fri, 02 Jun 00 20:10:14 +0100, you wrote:

>> A quick build of nano on my system links to curses, but I think if
>> curses is not present then nano will use termcap. If not, then at
>> minimum a 'nano' or 'tiny-vim' distribution can be built statically
>> linked to ncurses, and include only /usr/share/terminfo/l/linux,
>> .../c/cygwin, and .../r/rxvt.
>
>Nano will not build w/o curses.  It was my first thought for an
>Idiot's-Guide-to-Small-Editors candidate.  However ncurses and slang take it
>right out of the small category.

I just checked my ncurses installation and found out that I have compiled
ncurses with termcap support which means (if I do understand the documentation
correctly) that ncurses does a fallback to termcap if it does not find the
appropriate terminal-database.

So it should be possible to include ncurses based apps without the overhead of
the complete terminal-database. There is also something like fallback support
for linux and vt100 built into ncurses; I will play arround with that tonight
and will place the applications (nano and ee) as tar-files in my home here on
sourceware so that all you others can play arround with them;

Greetings,

Michael Ring