This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Pending change to cygwin DLL and binmode/textmode musings
- To: Chris Faylor <cgf at cygnus dot com>
- Subject: Re: Pending change to cygwin DLL and binmode/textmode musings
- From: Corinna Vinschen <vinschen at cygnus dot com>
- Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:11:43 +0200
- CC: cygwin-apps at sourceware dot cygnus dot com
- References: <20000624234013.A29970@cygnus.com>
- Reply-To: cygapp <cygwin-apps at sourceware dot cygnus dot com>
Chris Faylor wrote:
> text mode and bin mode mounts in Cygwin. My implementation gives precedence
> to the (little used?) _fmode variable which has always been around in Cygwin.
> Setting this variable to O_BINARY used to be the same as CYGWIN=binmode,
> i.e., it didn't affect disk files. Now it does.
FWIW, I'm _heavily_ interested in your incorporating that patch
into the developer sources. The reason is, I would be able to
speed up porting OpenSSH-2.1.1p1 by means. I would like to set
_fmode = O_TEXT and use O_BINARY where appropriate so I could
remove each use of `fopen(..., "rt")'. But: Wouldn't the use of
_fmode = O_TEXT additionally affect writes? I would still need the
differing of read (O_TEXT) and write (don't care).
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company