This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
perl-5.6.0 ready for test! (IMPORTANT READ THIS MESSAGE ON MAINTAINER STATUS!)
- To: "cygwin-apps at sources dot redhat dot com" <cygwin-apps at sources dot redhat dot com>
- Subject: perl-5.6.0 ready for test! (IMPORTANT READ THIS MESSAGE ON MAINTAINER STATUS!)
- From: "Michael Ring" <Michael dot Ring at t-mobil dot de> (Tel +49 228/936-2621)
- Date: 22 Aug 2000 11:18:12 +0000
- Autoforwarded: FALSE
- Discarded-X400-MTS-Extensions: (43) (12) (2) (135) (115) (5) (6) (3)
- Original-Encoded-Information-Types: (1) (0) (10021) (7) (1) (0) (6), (1) (0) (10021) (7) (1) (0) (1)
- X400-Content-Identifier: E3568IPM2UQM7
- X400-Content-Type: P2-1988 (22)
- X400-MTS-Identifier: [/PRMD=DTM/ADMD=DBP/C=DE/;AA959F9911D4782E00AAD4A4]
- X400-Originator: Michael.Ring@t-mobil.de
- X400-Received: by mta MB400-dxcast in /PRMD=DTM/ADMD=DBP/C=DE/;Relayed ; 22 Aug 2000 11:18:12 +0000
- X400-Received: by mta MB400-DXCW02 in /PRMD=DTM/ADMD=DBP/C=DE/;Relayed ; 22 Aug 2000 11:18:12 +0000
- X400-Recipients: firstname.lastname@example.org (Physical Forwarding Address Requested)
perl-5.6.0 is perl period ;-)
This is the initial port of perl based on 1.1.4 version of the cygwin dll. This
port was not done by me.
This package was provided as a support-tool for the rpm-package that was also
I am not capable of supporting perl, I only included it because it is needed by
another package i provided.
I will never ever be able to answer questions about how , why or why not perl
works on cygwin. I will not provide any extensions for perl or whatsoever.
But I have asked a few people if they are willing to maintain perl in the
future, those people will announce the "offical" version of perl once the
question is answered who will be the maintainer.
Most likely this will happen when perl-5.6.1 gets announced.
full support for the standard cygwin-packaging scheme will be added in the next
release, right now /usr/doc/<package>-<version> documentation is supported in
the binary tar.gz, support for the /usr/doc/cygwin directory cygwin-specific
documentation) will be added soon
The package is now available for testing at
Building requires gcc-2.95.2-2 and binutils-20000722-1 or later. A fix for
libcygwin.a is also needed!
Please refer to http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-08/msg00256.html
o dll and -a version of libperl
o cygwin-specific doc /usr/doc/Cygwin/perl-5.6.0.README missing at this point
(will soon be there)
o generic docs in /usr/doc/perl-5.6.0/*
o source archive distributed as original source and patch-file; standard src-tar
file will follow
o cygwin-specific README and PATCH are soon stored in the source archive, under
<top>/CYGWIN-PATCHES/* (although the patch has already been applied to the
I will never ever maintain the package, talks about the maintainer are ongoing
When tested this package should go nowhere (or perhaps contrib) version 5.6.1
should go to contrib
I will address problems of wrong packaging, no questions about content, please!