This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
rpm-3.0.5 ready for testing!
- To: "cygwin-apps at sources dot redhat dot com" <cygwin-apps at sources dot redhat dot com>
- Subject: rpm-3.0.5 ready for testing!
- From: "Michael Ring" <Michael dot Ring at t-mobil dot de> (Tel +49 228/936-2621)
- Date: 22 Aug 2000 11:39:36 +0000
- Autoforwarded: FALSE
- Discarded-X400-MTS-Extensions: (43) (12) (2) (135) (115) (5) (6) (3)
- Original-Encoded-Information-Types: (1) (0) (10021) (7) (1) (0) (6), (1) (0) (10021) (7) (1) (0) (1)
- X400-Content-Identifier: E3571IPM2XJTQ
- X400-Content-Type: P2-1988 (22)
- X400-MTS-Identifier: [/PRMD=DTM/ADMD=DBP/C=DE/;A7A9E7EF11D4783100AA9885]
- X400-Originator: Michael.Ring@t-mobil.de
- X400-Received: by mta MB400-dxcasu in /PRMD=DTM/ADMD=DBP/C=DE/;Relayed ; 22 Aug 2000 11:39:38 +0000
- X400-Received: by mta MB400-DXCW02 in /PRMD=DTM/ADMD=DBP/C=DE/;Relayed ; 22 Aug 2000 11:39:36 +0000
- X400-Recipients: firstname.lastname@example.org (Physical Forwarding Address Requested)
rpm-3.0.5 is the Redhat Package Manager, a tool for maintaining software
This is the initial port of rpm-3.0.5 based on 1.1.4 version of the cygwin dll.
This package is the reason I provided all the other packages today.
full support for the standard cygwin-packaging scheme will be added in the next
release, right now /usr/doc/<package>-<version> documentation is supported in
the binary tar.gz, support for the /usr/doc/cygwin directory cygwin-specific
documentation) will be added soon
The package is now available for testing at
Building requires gcc-2.95.2-2 and binutils-20000722-1 or later. A fix for
libcygwin.a is also needed!
Please refer to http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-08/msg00256.html
o After installing the tar.gz file you should do:
to make rpm work.
o rpm-3.0.5 supports the new version 4.0 packages. This makes it possible to
'steal' SRPMS from redhat's rawhide (ftp.redhat.com/rawhide/SRPMS/SRPMS) and
port them to cygwin. Most of the rawhide packages also support the %configure
and %makeinstall macros.
o rpm 3.0.5's Database format is (I think) incompatible with formats uses in rpm
3.0.4 and before. If you have an old version of rpm installed you should
definetely save your db-files in /var/lib/rpm (Just in case)
o cygwin-specific doc /usr/doc/Cygwin/perl-5.6.0.README missing at this point
(will soon be there)
o generic docs in /usr/doc/rpm-3.0.5/*
o source archive distributed as original source and patch-file; standard src-tar
file will follow
o cygwin-specific README and PATCH are soon stored in the source archive, under
<top>/CYGWIN-PATCHES/* (although the patch has already been applied to the
I will maintain the package. Additional volunteers welcome!
When tested this package should go to latest
Comments and test reports welcome!
Documentation can be found at:
o www.rpm.org is the official homepage,
o Maximum RPM is a book available for download on www.rpm.org; it is a little
bit outdated but still helpfull as a beginners tutorial
o There's a mailing list, to subscribe, send mail to email@example.com
with `subscribe rpm-list` in the body.
o Usenet Newsgroup linux.redhat.rpm
o cygwin specific problems should be discussed in