This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [Mingw-users] HOWTO setup cygwin's 'gcc -mno-cygwin' using mingw libs/headers
- To: Earnie Boyd <mingw-users at lists dot sourceforge dot net>, cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] HOWTO setup cygwin's 'gcc -mno-cygwin' using mingw libs/headers
- From: "Charles S. Wilson" <cwilson at ece dot gatech dot edu>
- Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 11:01:16 -0500
- CC: Kees Zeelenberg <c dot zeelenberg at hccnet dot nl>, Paul Sokolovsky <paul-ml at is dot lg dot ua>, Tor Lillqvist <tml at iki dot fi>
- References: <email@example.com.HOWL> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <000701c0af88$54b169a0$2d2dfb3e@beta> <3AB4D767.FD0BC764@yahoo.com>
Earnie Boyd wrote:
> If any library that is downloaded from the Cygwin official site also has
> MinGW libraries then those libraries should go into /usr/lib/mingw/.
I don't think this will happen -- Chris seems opposed to increasing the
size of "standard cygwin" packages by including mingw libs/binaries that
most cygwin users won't use. (And the truth is, I don't particularly
WANT to do extra work packing up my cygwin ports of various libs... :-)
> Libraries not on the official site that also include MinGW libraries
> should go into the /usr/local/lib/mingw/ directory. GCC-2.95.2-9 has
> been renovated to fit this model.
How has -9 been renovated? Does it include /usr/local/lib/mingw as a
system directory when -mno-cygwin? Next, what about dll's -- should
they go into /usr/local/bin/mingw or just /usr/local/bin (for $PATH
reasons; also, recall that cygwin dll's are prefixed by 'cyg' and mingw
libs are not.)? Finally, includes -- /usr/local/include/mingw?
> Now, if the library package also contains binaries, such as the gettext
> library package; IMO, the MinGW binaries should *not* be distributed in
> the Cygwin package unless you distribute a different package for the
> MinGW specific libraries. If that is the case, the current MinGW
> standard is to --prefix=/mingw when configuring the package. I package
> the tarball at the bottom most level so that it contains only the base
> level directories. However, IMO MinGW specific packages should not be
> distributed from the Cygwin net distribution.