This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: "rsync -e ssh" hangs when lots of data is being transferred -- USE_PIPES in OpenSSH is the culprit
- From: Corinna Vinschen <vinschen at redhat dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:01:45 +0100
- Subject: Re: "rsync -e ssh" hangs when lots of data is being transferred -- USE_PIPES in OpenSSH is the culprit
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 02:31:26PM -0500, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> My understanding is that pipes behave somewhat poorly under Cygwin
> because pipes behave somewhat poorly under Windows :-). It would seem
> that Cygwin pipes don't behave reliably enough for OpenSSH to use
> them. I'd suggest removing USE_PIPES from OpenSSH for Cygwin.
Really, I don't know what to do here. WHen compiling without USE_PIPES
(as I did originally) we had loads of problems with 9x users due to
the usage of socketpairs which don't work reliable on 9x systems.
Additionally socketpairs are way slower than pipes. I'm using OpenSSH
_as is_ for copying all my stuff from my windows box to any other
box, including sources.redhat.com. I'm attempted to say, if rsync is
the only application having that sort of problems, it's worth that if
OpenSSH works for _most_ 9x users.
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Developer mailto:email@example.com
Red Hat, Inc.