This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [FYI] file conflicts in recent Cygwin packages (see syscheck.log)
- From: Charles Wilson <cwilson at ece dot gatech dot edu>
- To: Robert Collins <robert dot collins at itdomain dot com dot au>
- Cc: Stipe Tolj <tolj at wapme-systems dot de>, cygwin-apps at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:40:17 -0500
- Subject: Re: [FYI] file conflicts in recent Cygwin packages (see syscheck.log)
- References: <3BF2982D.3D963F7C@wapme-systems.de> <035401c16d4b$c2127990$0200a8c0@lifelesswks>
Robert Collins wrote:
> > Another script is used to traverse the distribution tree and convert
> > all .tar.gz to .tar.bz2 which is obviously the better compression tool
> > here.
> This is wrong. It's up to the package maintainer to choose .tar.gz or
> .tar.bz2, and if the package is going to be changed the cygwin version
> suffix MUST be bumped.
Yeah, do you also want to autoconvert all .tar.bz2 files to .rpm without
the maintainer's input, or from .rpm to .deb? This is a maintainer
decision, not an authoritarian dictated one.