This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Proposal: Remove source tracking from setup
- From: "Robert Collins" <robert dot collins at itdomain dot com dot au>
- To: <cygwin-apps at sources dot redhat dot com>
- Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:20:54 +1100
- Subject: Proposal: Remove source tracking from setup
I'd like to remove all source package tracking from setup.exe.
By this I mean:
* Do not log downloaded sources to installed.db
* skip parsing any existing source records from installed.db.
* Continue to allow sources downloading.
At the same time I'd like to add a header record to installed.db -
INSTALLED.DB VERSION 2
to allow versioned upgrades in the future.
This will silently break any current scripts or tools like cygcheck that
parse installed.db - which is why I'm raising it here. OTOH it will
allow detection of further breakage.
The goal of this change is to
1) make setup.exe a little simpler.
2) take a step towards allowing sources to be downloaded to arbitrary