This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Proposal: Remove source tracking from setup
- From: "Paul G." <pgarceau at qwest dot net>
- To: cygwin-apps at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:39:44 -0800
- Subject: Re: Proposal: Remove source tracking from setup
- Organization: New Dawn Productions
- Reply-to: Paul Garceau <pgarceau at qwest dot net>
On 21 Nov 2001 at 13:20, the Illustrious Robert Collins wrote:
> I'd like to remove all source package tracking from setup.exe.
> By this I mean:
> * Do not log downloaded sources to installed.db
> * skip parsing any existing source records from installed.db.
> * Continue to allow sources downloading.
> At the same time I'd like to add a header record to installed.db -
> something like
> INSTALLED.DB VERSION 2
> to allow versioned upgrades in the future.
> This will silently break any current scripts or tools like cygcheck that
> parse installed.db - which is why I'm raising it here. OTOH it will
> allow detection of further breakage.
> The goal of this change is to
> 1) make setup.exe a little simpler.
> 2) take a step towards allowing sources to be downloaded to arbitrary
No objections here.