This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Remove cinstall src directory from snapshots
- From: Charles Wilson <cwilson at ece dot gatech dot edu>
- To: Robert Collins <robert dot collins at itdomain dot com dot au>
- Cc: pgarceau at qwest dot net, cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:55:05 -0500
- Subject: Re: Remove cinstall src directory from snapshots
- References: <3C0273A3.4316.702A6A@localhost> <03bf01c176e1$2b95eed0$0200a8c0@lifelesswks>
Robert Collins wrote:
> That will have been the issue. cinstall needs common makefile elements
> from the winsup directory, as well as the bz2lib directory and w32api.
> I'll accept patches to make cinstall build when isolated from the winsup
> directory, and use the system installed w32api and bz2lib and optionally
Watch out, here. The bzlib and zlib installed on cygwin have the
a) link to the DLL by default (so you have to use -static and
-DZLIB_STATIC etc if you want to link statically)
b) since DLL's are not allowed to have unresolved symbols when they
are built, cygz.dll and cygbz21.dll are "prelinked" to cygwin1.dll. So
linking setup.exe dynamically to the "system" zlib and bzlib is out.
c) So, you have to do the wacky -DZLIB_STATIC stuff...