This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: attn: which, bzip2,gzip maintainers (was Re: some problems with setup.ini)
- From: "Robert Collins" <robert dot collins at itdomain dot com dot au>
- To: <pgarceau at qwest dot net>,<cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:18:27 +1100
- Subject: Re: attn: which, bzip2,gzip maintainers (was Re: some problems with setup.ini)
- References: <1006938304.712.23.camel@lifelesswks> <3C04FA13.20523.3D5C04@localhost>
---- Original Message -----
From: "Paul G." <email@example.com>
> > >I'm still not 100% sure that utils is appropriate.
> > Me neither.
> FWIW, Mingw doesn't have an extensive utils as part of base
> so, you can download binutils as a separate enhancement from several
I always thought that mingw's aims were somewhat different to what
cygwin is (now) trying to do.
mingw: a compiler targeted for win32, (usually) hosted on win32, with
win32 binaries available.
cygwin: every *nix opensource utility (and one or two win32) under the
sun, available in binary form, along with a posix emulation layer to
make it all work.
Please correct me if I'm wrong :}.