RE: Setup.exe new GUI "preview"

On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 02:38, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:
> I took a peek. Here's a couple of random comments:
>
> 1. The list of mirrors to pick from used to expand vertically a bit more
> than it does now. Any chance it could have its longer status
> re-instated?

I want to end up with this app being resizable, so to me this is not too
important.

> 2. I didn't see any jumping in the z-order behavior anymore. Kudos! But,
> I still notice that if I move the first window off to one side, and
> click "next", the next window re-centers itself on the screen. As long
> as the next window is the same size as the previous one, it would make
> more sense (to me) if it wouldn't reposition itself.

Agreed.

> 4. On the package picker, if there's "work" to be done, I think it
> should show on the screen (at least initially). This means instead of
> just showing the list of categories, you'd also show any installed
> packages that have updates waiting. Currently, if one of my already
> installed packages has an update waiting, I don't see it unless I click
> the "View" button 2x (once to switch to "full" view, and again to switch
> to "partial" view). I think if the category view is going to remain the
> default, that it should at least expand just far enough to show all
> packages that are pre-selected for action (e.g. updates).

The view last used will be saved at some point, meaning that if you
leave it on partial, it will return to partial. I'll accept patches to
change the category mode view, provided they are done cleanly..

> 5. Related to above, my real preference would be to split out the "full"
> vs "partial" choices from the "category" vs "list" choices. In other
> words, the "view" button should switch between just 2 things - a list
> view and a categorized view. Then, a new button should be added labeled
> "Expand" or "Show All", that would cause all packages to be displayed
> on-screen (in either view mode, with the initial default view being to
> show just the packages that are currently in the "partial" view). Once
> you click "Expand", it should change to "Hide Unselected" (or similar),
> so that the user can shrink the list back to just the items he's
> selected for action. Furthermore, if I switch from "category" to "list"
> view, the next time I use setup.exe, it should remember that
> preference...

What do you suggest when we have the 2-3 extra views requested in README
implemented?

Rob