RE: Gary's Setup.exe v2.162

> -----Original Message-----
> From: cygwin-apps-owner@cygwin.com
> [mailto:cygwin-apps-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf Of David A. Cobb
>
> Downloaded 01/04/02,
> Some uglinesses:

Thanks for taking a look at this David.  First thing though: vz. 2.162 isn't
current.  Did you get this from the link to my own site that I posted a week or
so ago?  If so I have to apologize; I neglected to pull that down when
subsequent snapshots became available (i just pulled it now).  Current build
from HEAD of cvs shows vz. 2.169.

> CHOOSER:
> 	Click category=Base ('cause it's numerous), observe painting of text
> quits after about 8 lines.  White space is painted sufficient to fit the
> "missing" text.  Further digging reveals that painting text of the
> package names quits at y=~2/3 height, by the time I tried expanding
> Graphics it only painted 1 package.

I'm not seeing anything like this whatsoever.  Sounds extremely bizzarre, as a
WAG is it maybe old video drivers?

> 	Click category=Doc, observe program "wants" to Uninstall libxml2 &
> libxslt.

Both show "skip" for me; I don't have either installed yet on this machine.

>  After a few more games, selected "Experimental".  Now Doc
> category "wants" to keep xml2 & xslt but *uninstall* man & newlib-man.

Yep, this I see.  I read Rob's explanation and FWICT this isn't the intended
behavior overall, but there's some question as to where it should be dealt with.

> 	Select "Prev", observe the program now wants to uninstall anything for
> which it doesn't find a "prev".  IMHO "prev" should *skip* any package
> where it's not possible to back up.

Yeah, I agree, and again I believe the above comment applies.  Rob, speaking
from a position of relative ignorance on this particular issue, I don't think we
should rely on this being handled solely in setup.ini if it's possible to do so
in setup.exe itself, at least as a second line of defense.  Invariably something
will get into setup.ini not-quite-right, and setup will start uninstalling
people's mans, etc.

> 	Same ugliness as above, painting of package names quits at y=2/3.
> 	Play with the vertical scroll.  Doing it slowly left me with
> *nothing* in
> the display area - once I scrolled the fractured text up off the display
> it doesn't come back.
> 	Play QUICKLY with the vertical scroll.  Fragments of text show up,
> unintelligable, at divers points in the list of packages.

Again I see nothing remotely like this (nor did I notice anything like it in
older builds for that matter).  Which OS are you on?

BTW: Setup.exe isn't *all* mine ;-).  Only the bug-free parts; I don't know
who's sneaking those bugs in there ;-).

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.