Cygwin Python cyg vs. lib (was Re: [ANN] apache_1.3.22 package ...)

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 12:52:45PM +0100, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> 2002-01-09 12:50:02, du schriebst:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 09:16:12AM +0100, Stipe Tolj wrote:
> >> Users may have to include /usr/libexec to their PATH, due to the fact
> >> that libhttpd.dll resides there. Should we move at least that core
> >> library to /usr/bin to have it in PATH like the other cygfoo.dlls?
>
> > Shouldn't that be /usr/bin/cyghttpd.dll?
>
> It is the same like it is with perl or python.

When I did the initial patch to build Cygwin Python with a DLL core to
support shared (i.e., DLL) extension modules I didn't want to fight this
battle with the upstream maintainers too.  IIRC, using the "cyg" prefix
instead of "lib" would have complicated the Makefiles.  Besides the Win32
DLL are called pythonXY.dll instead of libpythonX.Y.dll, so there is no
chance of a name clash.

Subsequently, the Python Makefiles have been significantly changed.
I just checked and it appears (at first glance) that using the "cyg"
prefix should not affect any other platform.  Should I submit a patch
to invoke this change?  Or, should I let sleeping dogs lie?

Jason