Re: [ANN] apache_1.3.22 package available for setup inclusion

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 10:44:29AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> However, I don't think it TRULY matters where dlopen'ed DLLs live --
> except that users should not have to add /usr/libexec (or
> /usr/lib/perl5/cygwin-multi/auto/ByteLoader/ and
> /usr/lib/perl5/cygwin-multi/auto/Data/Dumper/ and ...) to their path.
> Also, I do not think that private, dlopened,
> not-in-the-public-bin-directory DLLs should be forced to follow the
> cygXXXX.dll nomenclature.  XXXX.dll, libXXXX.dll, whatever.  They're
> *private* -- who cares what they are named (although .dll is kindof a
> necessity due to windows runtime loader and dlopen issues)

It actually doesn't matter.  But since the default path for
libexecdir isn't /usr/libexec but /usr/sbin it should go to
/usr/sbin.  Or better /usr/lib.  Or even better, perhaps,
/usr/lib/httpd, /usr/share/httpd, ...

> The fact is, many packages put private, non-linkable,
> unusable-except-by-themselves shared libs into some private structure.
> Like perl does.  This is okay, IMO.

Sure.

> However, packages that do this should not require "external assistance"
> to find those dlopen'ed shared libs.  Either they should be dlopen'ed
> using the full path, or main() should add the requisite directories to
> the PATH -- but only for its process space, not globally.

Agree.

> So, IMO it's fine if apache puts its private, dlopen'ed DLLs into
> /usr/libexec/apache/modules or whereever -- but it should not require
> that /usr/libexec/apache/modules be added to the global PATH.

Except for `libexec', agree.

> Now, if apache's httpd.exe is inherently linked to LOTS of mod_*.dll
> shared libs -- instead of dlopen'ing them -- then I think that's a poor
> design decision and apache needs a bit more work to change that to using
> dlopen for the module-related DLL's...otherwise, where's the benefit of
> using DLL's?  You still need to relink httpd.exe every time you add a
> new module...might as well use static libs.

Agree.

Red Hat, Inc.