Re: pkgconfig

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>

> Okay, that's good.  IIRC, the problems that cropped up before involved
> the fact that /etc/installed.db listed installed packages WITH their
> package path, and package comparison *included* the path:
> And then, when setup tried to compare THAT with the new setup.ini
which
> specified (for instance)
> setup failed to recognize that those two packages were really just
> different versions of the same pacakge -- it didn't uninstall the old
> one, but DID install the new one, and now installed.db listed TWO
packages:
> or some such.  And then, MUCH wackiness ensued -- because some parts
of
> the code did pathless comparisons, and other parts did not.  Since
> Robert asserts that package comparisons are now done SOLELY on package
> name and NOT path, this 'wackiness' won't happen.  Good enough for me.

Check your installed.db now :}. We need the setup200202 in release to
ensure this though.

> So, the only objections to rearranging the package structure is:
>
> 1) bandwidth to the mirrors
> 2) conflicts between 'fast' mirrors and 'slow' mirrors
> 3) the multi-repository code when two repositories have the same
package
> on different local paths.
> 4) repository storage: I've noticed that many mirrors only add new
> tarballs -- they never remove the old tarballs even when sourceware
HAS
> removed them.  So, these repositories will have redundant copies of
the
> relocated packages -- one in the old location and one in the new.  If
> setup.ini doesn't refer to the outofdate locations, then this
shouldn't
> cause US problems; the folks who pay for the disk drives on the
mirrors
> may worry tho...
>
> If these are not serious worries, then:

I don't think they are (I have answers for all of 'em) :}. The only
caveat is that the *same* version _should_ not appear in two locations
at once (setup will handle this, but not as 'smartly' as it could).

> 1) I'll wait until the new setup is out for a few days
> 2) I'll move the gettext package from contrib/ to latest/
>
> If this is successful, then we will have *proven* -- as opposed to the
> armchair analysis that we've been doing in this thread -- that there
is
> no problem with relocating packages in the repository.  THEN, and
*only*
> then, Chris could begin to rearrange things on sourceware -- if he
wants
> to do so.

Rob