Re: pager in default install

> Take a look at the modifications I made for 'cal', 'ddate' etc, in the
> cygutils package. Those where taken from the util-linux package as well,
> but heavily modified to build in the cygutils tree instead of in the
> util-linux tree.  That may give you some hints.
>
> Also, you're more than welcome to copy the cygutils infrastructure
> (libsupport.a, common.h, etc) and use it with your 'more' package.

Sounds good.

> Ummm, why?  It seems to me that the only reason to have an actual 'more'
> binary, is so that you have something that is behaviorally identical to
> the original 'more' program -- so that progs that spawn 'more' get
> something that actually acts like 'more' (and not 'less').  If you break
> the behaviorally identical requirement, you might as well just 'cp
> less.exe more.exe' and be done.

Well, first there's the fact that I have to branch the source anyway
since util-linux will never compile OOTB. Second, unhelpful output like

usage: more [-dfln] [+linenum | +/pattern] name1 name2 ...

is a pet peeve of mine. What the heck are -dfln? Sure, 'man more' but
a little discription would be nice. Third, if I'm going to all this trouble
for cygwin, why not make it autoconf on other platforms (at least ones with
ncurses, perhaps)? A quick google search showed people reporting bugs in
'more' to GNU mailing lists already, and being told that it isn't a GNU
utility.

> Err, not really.  The original code remains under the copyright
> ownership of whoever wrote it -- and only they can change the licensing
> terms.  However, your changes, and support code (Makefiles, etc) can be
> released under the GPL.  Since the util-linux source is BSD-no-advert,
> it is compatible with the GPL -- and if you mix GPL+BSD-no-advert, the
> result taken as a whole is therefore bound by the GPL.
>
> (e.g. BSD-no-advert code can be assimilated into a GPL project, but
> still remains BSD-no-advert)

That's what I meant.