Re: pager in default install

Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

>>That's because I didn't use this list.  I had another criteria which,
>>if you are looking in the email archives, you should be able to see
>>mentioned a few times.  I used the 'base' category from debian.  Hopefully
>>we haven't drifted from that too much.
>>

> I remember something about that but thought it was just a general
> guideline. I installed Debian with the Potato netinst CD
> http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
> and guess what's in 'base'? "util-linux" including 'more'
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/util-linux.html
>
> So what does this mean for more's inclusion?

Not arguing for or against, here, but as a point of order:

util-linux IS what cgf is worried about cygutils BECOMING: a catch all
for lots and lots of stuff -- some important, some not.  util-linux
contains (among other things):

/bin/arch
/bin/dmesg
/bin/kill
/bin/login
/bin/more
/etc/fdprm
/etc/pam.d/chfn
/etc/pam.d/chsh
/etc/pam.d/kbdrate
/etc/pam.d/login
/etc/security/console.apps/kbdrate
/sbin/agetty
/sbin/blockdev
/sbin/clock
/sbin/ctrlaltdel
/sbin/elvtune
/sbin/fdisk
/sbin/fsck.minix
/sbin/hwclock
/sbin/kbdrate
/sbin/mkfs
/sbin/mkfs.bfs
/sbin/mkfs.minix
/sbin/mkswap
/sbin/nologin
/sbin/pivot_root
/sbin/rescuept
/sbin/sfdisk
/usr/bin/cal
/usr/bin/chfn
/usr/bin/chsh
/usr/bin/col
/usr/bin/colcrt
/usr/bin/colrm
/usr/bin/column
/usr/bin/cytune
/usr/bin/ddate
/usr/bin/fdformat
/usr/bin/getopt
/usr/bin/hexdump
/usr/bin/ipcrm
/usr/bin/ipcs
/usr/bin/logger
/usr/bin/look
/usr/bin/mcookie
/usr/bin/mkcramfs
/usr/bin/namei
/usr/bin/newgrp
/usr/bin/raw
/usr/bin/rename
/usr/bin/renice
/usr/bin/rev
/usr/bin/script
/usr/bin/setfdprm
/usr/bin/setsid
/usr/bin/setterm
/usr/bin/ul
/usr/bin/whereis
/usr/bin/write
/usr/games/banner
/usr/sbin/cfdisk
/usr/sbin/hwclock
/usr/sbin/ramsize
/usr/sbin/rdev
/usr/sbin/readprofile
/usr/sbin/rootflags
/usr/sbin/tunelp
/usr/sbin/vidmode
/usr/sbin/vigr
/usr/sbin/vipw

Now, surely 'kill' and 'login' are BASE programs, but 'newgrp'?  Sure,
it's useful, but the system is completely functional without 'newgrp'.
And 'ddate' -- fun but hardly necessary.  'cal', 'col', 'banner'? Ditto.

But, since the machine is pretty much useless without 'login' (and
perhaps the pam modules) -- the whole thing gets classified as BASE.

Splitting things up into separate packages is good.  That way, the
'login' program can be classified as BASE (as it is in cygwin, since we
have a 'login' package containing....'login'!) but ddate and cal can go
live in the unimportant (but fun and useful) cygutils package.

(The argument could be made that everything in cygutils should be split
into individual packages, but SOME conglomeration is okay.  We just need
to be reasonable about it)

Now, back to the topic: more.  Just because util-linux is classified as
BASE by Debian, and we want to follow (within reason) Debian's category
scheme, it does not NECESSARILY follow that every program WITHIN
util-linux should ALSO be a 'base' package -- by splitting things up we
have more flexibility.  ('more' might be 'base'able -- but not merely on
the basis of util-linux's position in the Debian category scheme).

--Chuck