RE: fastcall

I've noticed this thread on cywgin. I actually have been discussing this
with ReactOS team recently.  The ReactOs patchset for fastcall support in
GCC and binutils has been in my local sandbox for 3.1 and causes no
regressions with GCC/binutils testsuites.  It has been in a mingw gcc
2.95.3 experimental binary release since Nov, with no bugs reported.   I
have built cygwin version with fc support but have not had time to do much
testing.

I do not want to maintain it locally forever either.

In order to get it into official sources, the ReactOS team will need some
support.

The GCC patchset touches some of the same code as Mumit's C++ dllimport
tweaks. It could easily be modified so it is not dependent on Mumit's
patches, but my plan (after the -ms-bitfields dust settles) was to try to
get Mumit's patches reviewed officially first, then test the fastcall
waters.

For the fastcall to work, binutils support is also needed. There is a big
problem with binutils because of the vacuum left by DJ stepping down as w32
maintainer.  There are currently  bugs in binutils with respect to ld
--shared (or at least there was two weeks ago and has been since 17 [UTC]
December).

Related frustrations:  ReactOs team has submitted several relatively
non-intrusive patches for useful windres improvements that have not been
seriously reviewed.  My patch for --exclude-all-libs lingered into
forgetfullness.  Ditto for a ReactOs patch for checksums in pe-executables.

Chris asked the question a while ago: "Wanna be a binutils maintainer".

Danny

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au Auctions
- 1,000s of Bargains!