Re: fastcall

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 08:29:29AM +1000, Danny Smith wrote:
>I've noticed this thread on cywgin. I actually have been discussing this
>with ReactOS team recently.  The ReactOs patchset for fastcall support in
>GCC and binutils has been in my local sandbox for 3.1 and causes no
>regressions with GCC/binutils testsuites.  It has been in a mingw gcc
>2.95.3 experimental binary release since Nov, with no bugs reported.   I
>have built cygwin version with fc support but have not had time to do much
>testing.
>
>I do not want to maintain it locally forever either.

Right.

>In order to get it into official sources, the ReactOS team will need some
>support.
>
>The GCC patchset touches some of the same code as Mumit's C++ dllimport
>tweaks. It could easily be modified so it is not dependent on Mumit's
>patches, but my plan (after the -ms-bitfields dust settles) was to try to
>get Mumit's patches reviewed officially first, then test the fastcall
>waters.
>
>For the fastcall to work, binutils support is also needed. There is a big
>problem with binutils because of the vacuum left by DJ stepping down as w32
>maintainer.  There are currently  bugs in binutils with respect to ld
>--shared (or at least there was two weeks ago and has been since 17 [UTC]
>December).

URL?  I don't see anything obvious in the subject.

>Related frustrations:  ReactOs team has submitted several relatively
>non-intrusive patches for useful windres improvements that have not been
>seriously reviewed.  My patch for --exclude-all-libs lingered into
>forgetfullness.  Ditto for a ReactOs patch for checksums in pe-executables.

Does the ReactOS team have assignments on file with the FSF?

>Chris asked the question a while ago: "Wanna be a binutils maintainer".

Yeah.  I asked for binutils maintainer and binutils and gcc cygwin
package maintainers.  gcc 3.1 presents a challenge in that some of my
local hacks will no longer work.  I have an idea about how to kludge
around that fact without impacting the rest of gcc but I don't really
have much time for much programming anymore.

However, I'll ask nickc if he minds if I start trying to clear out some
of the binutils issues.

Danny, do you mind checking things in, if I get approval?  Or, we can
split the task.  The windres changes should be noncontroversial.  The
only problem is the assignment one, AFAICT.

cgf