RE: ordinal linking for cygwin ld

Yes.

> > We'd probably also need to ensure that strip leaves the
> names in the
> > IAT (I wasn't clear from your other email whether it does that or
> > not).
> >
> Yes it does. See some parts about my auto-import documentation.

Cool.

> $ objdump -x client.exe
> FirstThunk (2) points to the import address table (IAT),
> which entries are identifed by corresponding _imp_... symbols.

The IAT is an array of IMAGE_THUNK_DATA, that gets overwritten by the
physical PE header of the linked image by the win32 .exe load process.

> HintTab (3) point to a rva (relative virtual address = offset
> from image start) vector pointing to IMAGE_IMPORT_BY_NAME unions.

Huh? The Hinttab->hintname array is an array of IMAGE_THUNK_DATA.

> (4) shows an IMAGE_IMPORT_BY_NAME union for a named link. It
> is identifed by the _nm_<smbol> name . In this structure the
> symbol name string is stored independed from the regular
> symbol name, which can be only stripped.

Hmm. the diagram above is a little misleading. The IMAGE_IMPORT_BY_NAME
struct is not a union. It's IMAGE_THUNK_DATA that is a union, and for
named imports contains that RVA of the IMAGE_IMPORT_BY_NAME struct,
which has both the ordinal and the member name. Lastly there is _no_
requirement for the INT and IAT to share IMAGE_IMPORT_BY_NAME structs,
and they definitely won't share IMAGE_THUNK_DATA elements.

> (5) shows a IMAGE_IMPORT_BY_NAME union for a ordinal link.

Again, this is wrong, it stores a IMAGE_THUNK_DATA union.

> No see this for an auto-imported data

> Hope that helps

Mostly. I'm a bit rusty - it's been a while since I grokked the
auto-import stuff. I'm getting back into it at the moment. The thing
that I don't follow at the moment is the how the linker fixup places the
exported data -variable- at a fixed rva at dll load time. The IAT is
-meant- to point straight to functions after the fixup occurs, so
pointing at an address in the .dll .text segment is fine. I'll re-read
Paul's explanation when I get to looking at your patch anyway.

Cheers,
Rob