Re: ITP: netpbm

Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:

> Well, as I described in the other message, there are only three
> patches.

Ok, I must have looked over it.

> One, which creates a Makefile.config,

> Two, a cygwin-specific README file.

> Three, GNU shtool, to create a shadow tree in which to build.

Indeed, I've done something quite similar, of course, but it seems
that you've put more work in it than I, already.

> What *would* be appropriate is if someone totally autoconfiscated the
> whole mess,

Yes, but I guess we'll leave that up to the authors, or, at least, ask
them first.  It shouldn't be much work, there seem to be a few system
profiles, and then some questions.

> Big directories == slow.  Much worse on FAT than on NTFS.  There's no
> hard limit on non-partition-root directories, however (unless somebody
> does something REALLY silly, like 'mount C:\ /bin'.
>
> Putting all the netpbm binaries in /usr/bin(==/bin) won't cause any
> problems, except for the standard PATH ordering issues(*), but those
> will only affect a few people (like me, and I can deal).

Ok.  I think plainly in usr/bin would be best, because it's standard,
but things can be changed/ moved around whenever this list decides
something else.  Also, I think that this

> (*) there are widely used windows ports of netpbm tools.  [..]  So,
> in normal windows, and cmd prompt, I use the native port of netpbm
> [..]  When in bash, I use the cygwin port of netpbm (this makes me
> happy).

while, a valid argument, can probably be said for tex itself
(tex,latex etc), for gs (ghostscript), probably even the 'find'
command.

I think that if 'you' want some subset of bin in certain situations,
you should probably arrange that yourself.

Greetings,
Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter