Re: RFD: gettext, iconv, packaging...

Chuck,

Charles Wilson wrote:

So, I propose to
a) add a libiconv dependency (*)
b) add a libexpat dependency -- yes, 0.11.2 can use expat if it is there.

(*) Yes, I'll provide/maintain libiconv-1.8.0 -- but I would appreciate if someone who has been whining about the lack of libiconv would take over maintainership of my zip and unzip packages (Gerrit??). They are low maintainance, but I would like to reduce the total number of packages I'm responsible for. I still feel that, as a non-multilingual, latin-alphabet user, I'm not the best person to answer questions about using libiconv -- but as long as the package passes its own built-in selftests...and heck, I've been "maintaining" the gettext package for years. So, consider this an "ITP: libiconv"

Sounds good to me. I'm sorry if you feel like you have too many packages :-(. Let me be one of the many to say thanks for your effort :-).

Packaging:
Bruno included some "packaging hints" in the latest distro. However, they don't really seem to address the issue of two-part libintl shared libs, and having multiple versions coexist, or 3rd party packages depending on specific versions of the shared lib... He suggests:
gettext:
bin/gettext.exe
bin/ngettext.exe
Is xgettext.exe included or has that been phased out?

[SNIP]

It sounds reasonable to me...

Cheers,
Nicholas