Re[2]: [maybe-ITP] FreeCiv for X

Hello Corinna,

Tuesday, July 02, 2002, 10:41:04 AM, you wrote:

CV> On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 10:33:59AM +0200, Lapo Luchini wrote:
>> Being the first time I tryied cygwin's Xfree I was searching for
>> something to "test" it and I found, con www.freeciv.org, a compiled
>> CygWin Xfree version of FreeCiv (Civilization II GPLed clone).
>> Later I noticed also that a native Win32 version exists, with its own
>> GTK.dll and occupying 5.3Mb instead of  3Mb.
>>
>> Do you think it would be nonetheless cool to have a game in cygwin
>> packages or its existance as a standalone Win32 program makes it
>> unnecessary?

CV> Not at all!  Sure it would be cool to have that game.  Isn't it
CV> somewhat slow as a Cygwin app?

I've been browsing the FreeCiv site, some time ago - I remember that
in the ports section I red something about droping the cygwin version
in favour of the native Win32 one. I don't remember the exact reason
though.

Btw I don't know how slow the cygwin version is, but having bought
Civ III, I can say that even the retail version gets pretty much slow
when you advance through the game :))