This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: ITP: Guile 1.5.6
- From: Charles Wilson <cwilson at ece dot gatech dot edu>
- To: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke at gnu dot org>
- Cc: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 11:50:29 -0400
- Subject: Re: ITP: Guile 1.5.6
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
Last night, I've eventually succeeded in building guile-1.5.6, with
shared object libraries for Cygwin.
Guile version 1.5.6, is now available for testing at:
After a successful installation of guile (and libguile14), you should
be able to run, eg,
guile -c '(begin (write (string-append "hello: " (version) "\n")))'
May we have your votes (and comments) please.
Well, the setup.hints for guile-doc, libguile14, and libguile14-dev
packages should all include an 'external-source: guide' line.
Also, the libguile14-dev package concerns me. It should probably be
called 'libguile14-devel' (not -dev) for consistency with other
packages. Also, will libguile14-devel be able to peacefully coexist
with, say, libguile15-devel? Or should the -devel package be called
"guile-devel' instead, so that only the latest version of the
headers/statlibs/implibs are ever installed?
To me, it sure looks like the latter is true:
1) the header files are installed into /usr/include/guile/,
/usr/include/guile-readline/, and /usr/include/libguile/ -- plus,
there's a /usr/include/libguile.h file (not .../guile14/ .../libguile14/
.../guile-readline14/ + /usr/include/libguile14.h) so they will be
overwritten by "libguile15-devel"
2) the main libraries in /usr/lib are not versioned in any way -- you
have libguile.a, libguilereadline.a, and the corresponding .la files.
So, this package should probably be
There are also four bigger problems:
1) In libguile14-dev (guile-devel), these files:
I'm almost positive that something is going terribly wrong here. Those
names just do NOT look right.
2) The import libs should be in the -devel package, not the runtime
package. That is,
should be moved from 'libguile14' into 'libguile14-dev'=='guile-devel'
3) What's with the sticky bit on the directories within the archives?
Is that kosher?
4) guile.m4 is in the wrong place, and in the wrong package. Currently,
it is in /usr/aclocal and is part of the libguile14 package. It should
be installed into /usr/SHARE/aclocal/ and should be part of the
P.S. However, I do think that guile is a worthwhile addition to the