This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: mknetrel for president
Christopher Faylor wrote:
I hate to chime in, but I love Jan's scripts for building a
cross-compiler. Let's be frank, building a cross environment is easy,
but it is a tedious task somewhat prone to mistakes. Jan's scripts make
this task easy and autonomous to execute. Just my opinion, but I think
bootstrapping the cross-environment would be an excellent add-on for
your script. In most people's case, they do not have the
cross-compilers. This would give them the option, should they desire,
to bootstrap and build the cross environment from scratch. I don't know
about most of you, but I'm lazier than sin, so I suppose that's my
reasoning for liking this.
On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 03:05:54AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
* set of functions for each stage (configure, make, install) etc,
and between stages.
* each package can override any of these functions with its own.
* configure, build, package src and binary package.
* rather simple, specific and lightweight.
Looking at mknetrel, there are two things that I really miss from my
* setting up the cross building environment.
There should be little, if any cross build environment to set up. You
either have the cross compilers or you don't.